Monday, August 01, 2005

It Hit Home

Bad stuff happens everyday and none of us is exempt from it happening to us or those we love. But it isn't until it hits home that we realize how terrible life can be. We read or hear the news about accidents, deaths and other calamities and don't give it much thought about how lives are impacted.
My father-in-law was recently diagnosed with skin cancer. He had a toe amputated, but it turns out that the cancer has spread. Tonight I found out that he is in stage 5. The last stage. This means that he only has a couple of years left.
We all have to die somehow sooner or later, but way can't it be much later. He is only in his fifties and has a 5 and a 2 year old. The kids financial future is secured, but it's frustrating that his millions can't buy him more time.
This is a sad situation and is giving me stress. I am the only other man in the family and it will fall on me to care for an protect the family. This is a major load I am not looking foward to taking. Their finances and being their father figure are not something to be taken lightly.
On another note, I also feel guilt-ridden because there is talk of him selling me his company at some point. This represents a great opportunity for me, but given the circumstances I'm not supposed to be happy about this, so I don't know how to handle the prospect.
I wish this whole thing wasn't happening, period. I already have my own business plans.

6 Comments:

Blogger annush said...

i don't understand...if your father in law is dying, why are you responsible for his family? i don't get it.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Francisco (Melvin) Rosario said...

Sorry to hear about your father in law ... Enjoy him and his company as much as you can. Everything will work itself out and you'll be fine. But I'm with Annush ... why would you be responsible for his family? Because you'd be the only man left?

3:00 PM  
Blogger Bracuta said...

I'm sorry for your father in law. I'll pray for him.
Again the question, why are you going to be responsible for his family once he's gone?

9:09 AM  
Blogger henry siteber said...

The reason is: I am the only other male in the family and the kids have to have a father figure. Also, their finances and very complex and his wife is not very savvy to handle them. I on the other hand know all about their types of investments and properties. So, I will also be involved in that aspect.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Sorry to hear the news as well, but don't you think it's a bit old-fashioned to hold the notion that you have to step in to fill another's man's shoes because you're a male? I mean, this isn't Saudia Arabia where every female needs a male guardian, his wife should be able to easily hire a financial advisor if the guy's worth millions as you say.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
»

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home